Jump to navigation Jump to search Not to be confused with Seget. Szeged, Tisza river bank, with Mora Museum, and the Theatre building. Pfaff 1183 pdf of the City on May 21.
Tisza that flows through the city. Szeged and its area have been inhabited since ancient times. Ptolemy mentions the oldest known name of the city: Partiscum. It is possible that Attila, king of the Huns had his seat somewhere in this area. In the second century AD there was a Roman trading post established on an island in the Tisza, and the foundations of the Szeged castle suggest that the structure may have been built over an even earlier fort. Today only one corner of the castle still remains standing.
During the Mongol invasion the town was destroyed and its inhabitants fled to the nearby swamps, but they soon returned and rebuilt their town. Szeged is known as the home of paprika, a spice made from dried, powdered capsicum fruits. Paprika arrived in Hungary in the second half of the 16th century as an ornamental plant. About 100 years later the plant was cultivated as an herb, and paprika as we know it. The citizens of Szeged played an important part in the Hungarian Revolution of 1848.
Lajos Kossuth delivered his famous speech here. Szeged was the last seat of the revolutionary government in July 1849. Today the inner city of Szeged has beautiful buildings and wide avenues. Emperor Franz Joseph visited the town and promised that “Szeged will be more beautiful than it used to be”. After the First World War Hungary lost its southern territories to Romania and Serbia, as a result Szeged became a city close to the border, and its importance lessened, but as it took over roles that formerly belonged to the now lost cities, it slowly recovered.
Szeged suffered heavily during World War II. 6,000 inhabitants of the city were killed, the Jewish citizens were confined to ghettos and then taken to death camps. In 1962, Szeged became the county seat of Csongrád. Today’s Szeged is an important university town and a popular tourist attraction. Szeged is situated near the southern border of Hungary, just to the south of the mouth of the Maros River, on both banks of the Tisza River, nearly in the centre of the Carpathian Basin.